This recipe is an excellent source of protein, calcium, and riboflavin, which are important during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Prep time: 20 minutes, including cook time
- ½ c. bread crumbs
- ½ c. egg alternative
- ½ c. grated Romano cheese
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- ¼ c. white wine (see Notes)
- juice of one lemon
- 2 tsp. butter
- 12 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 "thin" breasts)
- Pound chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap until they are about ¼" thick.
- Mix breadcrumbs with cheese in a shallow dish.
- Dredge chicken breasts in flour, and then dip in egg substitute, then into cheese-breadcrumb mixture to coat.
- Heat 1 tsp. butter in saucepan with canola oil.
- When butter starts to brown and oil is hot, place chicken breasts in pan and cook over medium-high heat for 2 minutes on each side until chicken is golden brown and thoroughly cooked. Chicken may need to be cooked in batches of two, depending on pan size.
- Remove chicken from pan and keep warm.
- Deglaze plan with white wine, lemon juice, and the additional 1 tsp. of butter.
- Pour sauce over chicken breasts and serve immediately.